The new Iernut thermal power plant will be functional by the end of 2020, said Adrian Volintiru, CEO of Romgaz.
“The works were delayed during this period due to the pandemic, as there could not be more than 200 people on site. Usually, 600 people work there. Another reason is the financial problems of the contractors, which we want to help during this period. At this moment, the works are 90 percent completed,” said Volintiru during an online conference.
Romgaz has awarded the contract for building of a CCGT power plant in Iernut (Mureș county) to the association Duro Felguera – Romelectro.
The project, worth almost 270 million Euro, will push the efficiency of the Iernut TPP to at least 56 percent, complying with environment protection regulations concerning the curbing of greenhouse gas emissions to legal levels and improving the operating safety of the thermal power plant.
Romgaz is the main natural gas producer and supplier in Romania, having the Romanian State as main shareholder (70 percent). The remaining 30 percent stake is traded on the Bucharest Stock Exchange and the London Stock Exchange (LSE). In 2013, Romgaz expanded its main scope of activity by taking over Iernut power plant, thereby becoming an electricity producer and supplier.